Spicy Salmon Cakes with Mango Tartar Sauce
Motoryacht Lady Margaret
- 1 cup peeled, diced ripe mango (1 large)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and chopped
- Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 lb cooked salmon, flaked
- 1 cup panko
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- To make tartar sauce, whisk together the mango, mayonnaise, capers, and salt and pepper, to taste, in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Yield: 1 1/2 cups.
- Heat 1/4-inch of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Put the salmon in a medium bowl and break it up with a fork, watch for bones. Add the panko, eggs, parsley, shallots, cayenne and salt. Season with black pepper, to taste, and mix well. Form the mixture into 12 cakes and coat them with the cornmeal.
- Carefully put the cakes in the oil, 5 or 6 at a time, and cook until golden brown; about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to drain. Arrange them on a serving platter and serve immediately with tartar sauce.