Rastafari Surf and Turf
Butter Poached Lobster with Lime Garlic Butter, Filet Mignon, and Three Sauces
Winner of November 2015 VICL Charter Yacht Show Culinary Competition: Chef Nia Mora aboard Catamaran Pisces.
HINT: Make your sauces beforehand so they are ready to serve when your steak and lobster are ready.
Yellow Sauce: Mango
- 1 perfectly ripe mango
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Blend to a puree.
Red Sauce: Honey Chipotle
- 3 hydrated Mexican chile peppers (I used Guajillo, but you could also use Ancho)
- 1 small can of roasted red peppers
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (or 1/2 of the pepper depending on desired heat)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Prepare chilies by cracking open and removing seeds, veins, and stems. Cover with hot water. Soak for 1 hour. Drain, but reserve the soaking liquid. Place pepper skins in blender and add enough of the reserved water so chilies are somewhat covered. Add remaining ingredients and blend until thick and smooth. Be careful with the amount of chilies you use in this recipe, its spicy!
Green Sauce: Salsa Verde
- 1 bunch Mint
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 1 bunch Basil
- 4 Spring onions
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 or 3 Jalapenos (depending on desired heat)
- 5 charred Tomatillos (burned part peeled, keep any juice for blender)
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 Avocado, peeled
- 1 tablespoon Extra-virgin olive oil
- White wine vinegar to taste
Place all ingredients in a blender. Slowly add one teaspoon of white wine vinegar at a time until you achieve a creamy, yet well balanced sauce. All the fresh ingredients will give you a wonderful sauce.
Garlic Lime Butter Sauce
Heat 1/4 cup of butter on low until melted. Add sliced garlic until fragrant. (Do not burn the butter or garlic). Remove from heat and add juice from half a lime. Carefully strain the sauce to remove the garlic. Serve this sauce with the lobster and steak.
For The Steak
- Medallion size filet mignon (3"x3")
- Salt and Pepper
Preheat oven to 275°F. Crust steak in salt and pepper. (Use more salt than you think you need). Oven cook steak on rack for 40 to 60 minutes until internal temperature reaches 125°F for medium. Allow steak to rest for 15 minutes. Internal temperature will continue to rise to 135°F. Then, give steak a hard sear in a cast iron pan for 1 to 2 minutes per side before serving.
For The Lobster
- 1 medium size lobster tail
- 2 cups of unsalted melted butter for poaching
- 4 cloves garlic
- Rind from half lemon
- Bouquet garni: fresh herbs of your liking (like thyme, or oregano) for the poaching butter
Blanch lobster for 2 to 3 minutes in boiling salt water. Remove and place in ice bath. De-shell lobster. Whisk butter on simmer with garlic, fresh herbs, and lemon rind to make it aromatic. Poach lobster in aromatic butter for another 5 to 7 minutes. Remove and serve with steak.